Search this blog


Home About Contact

Sunday, February 8, 2009

Do I Hate Group Week?

In the past one of my least favorite parts of Idol was the Group Week in Hollywood.  It just never made sense.  They are looking for someone to be a solo artist, not part of a group.  There are plenty of good singers who get stuck with lame people who don't want to work and they get cut because of that.  Personalities would clash and two who would normally be great as solo artists get cut because they can't get along well enough to work together to move to the next round.
Last year they cut out group week and I did a very big happy dance all around my house.  I thought it was one of the best moves they made.  This year it was back.
At first I was mad they brought it back for the reasons above.  But I thought, this IS a TV SHOW first, a competition last.  Just like the bad singers are good for TV ratings, all the drama that goes on with Group Week makes for good ratings.  So I figured they brought this back just for that.
But then I started thinking about it differently because I remembered a comment Paula made to someone in Season 1.  I don't remember who, but someone started backtalking Simon big time.  Paula jumped up and told that person if they wanted to make it in this business and couldn't take what Simon was saying, they would NEVER make it.  What he was saying was NICE compared to what will happen when you get out there, they will tear you apart every chance they get.  So I started thinking of Group Week in those terms.
If they can't put aside any differences, any issues, all their baggage and work together for one moment so they can all move on to the next round, then maybe they shouldn't be in this business.  I mean how are they going to react when the recording engineer says they need to do it over again for the 10th time?  What about when someone wants to change their song, rearrange the background vocals?  What about just simply working with the rest of the band that will be helping to make them sound great?  And what about pressure?  Needing to get something done yesterday.  There's a problem with something and that is holding up the live performance.  Something goes wrong during the performance.  No one is going to want to see the solo artist - the American Idol - screaming and throwing a tantrum like a 4 yr old.
So maybe Group Week, in a way, is helping to weed out those who couldn't handle all of that if they won.  And thinking of it that way, I don't hate it so much anymore.
As for who stayed and who went home, I was SOOOOOOOOOO happy to see bikini girl go home!  That was AWESOME!  And Simon's comment to her was fantastic and right on!  I think the Osmond guy went home because he didn't have that solo artist sound.  No question he can sing, but he's just not what they are looking for.  And that goes for many others who went home.  They can definitely sing, but just not what they are looking for in this competition.  I was glad to see the oil rig workger guy get through and that guy who lost his wife recently.  Oh, and his group was AWESOME!  I think that guy has a serious chance at winning.
I thought Paula had a little fun creating drama now and then by splitting the group into two lines and then telling them they all go through.  What do you know, she CAN be a little devil!  haha
75 through to next week.  Lots of cuts, it'll be interesting, and I can't wait to watch it!

No comments: